I know it doesn’t feel like summer yet but it’s right around the corner! We spend so much time in the grey rain here in the Pacific Northwest that when the sun comes out, we get really excited! So excited that it can be easy to get off track with our health goals. I want to offer 5 tips that will help you rock your health goals once the sun comes out and we’re being called to happy hour.
1. Plan, Plan, Plan – One of my favorite quotes is “when we fail to plan, we plan to fail.” This is so true! If you want to be successful in reaching your goals, plan for success! When it comes to your health goals, plan everything including your workouts, your meals, dining out, cocktails and your treats. I believe in moderation, not elimination and there is room for treating yourself when you lay out your goals and your plan you will see where it fits in. I recommend picking a weekend day to look at the week you have in front of you. When you can see everything laid out such as events, busy days, invitations, obligations, etc. it can be the difference in staying on track or not. Based on your goals decide how many days you want to workout, what your meal plan will be and yes … your treats.
2. Stay Hydrated – Your goal should always be to drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water per day. It’s even more important in the summer when it’s hot out and you’re drinking more alcohol and/or sugary drinks. When the sun comes out and the patios open, we are often drawn to dining out and drinking more frequently. Most alcoholic beverages contain a large amount of sugar so it’s important to take that into account. Here are 8 drinks listed from highest calorie amount to lowest http://www.health.com/nutrition/lowest-calorie-alcohol#white-wine-lowest-calorie-alcohol – Be mindful of what you are putting into your body and if it’s taking you farther away from your goals. If you are going to drink, try to choose a low calorie healthier option.
3. Hit the Farmer’s Market – We are blessed in the Pacific Northwest to have access to amazing produce from local farmers. Venture out this summer, hit some local farmers markets and try new recipes. After fruits and veggies are harvested they start to lose their nutrient content. The longer food takes to get to the grocery store, the more nutrients are lost. Being able to take advantage of fresh produce, ensures you receive as many nutrients as possible from your food! Summer is a great time to BBQ, especially the fresh, local produce you pick up at your local farmers market.
4. Have Support and Accountability in Place – Summer is a great time to have additional accountability partners and support in place. Whether it’s in the form of a strong community or a best friend, be real with yourself on what you need to succeed. If you have to check in with others, you are far more likely to stay on track and succeed. Assemble a small group and make it fun! Set up a summer contest that will keep each of you motivated, inspired and on track!
5. Take Your Workout Outside – Take advantage of the nice weather and get outside! We are going to be doing more outdoor Bootcamps here at NCS, as well as offering hiking and outdoor race opportunities as well. Step outside of your comfort zone and do something you wouldn’t normally do. Go on a hike or kayak or run a 5K … get outside and connect with Mother Nature. We all need the extra Vitamin D living here … it will do your mind and body good.
Having success over the summer comes down to setting yourself up to win! Lean on the support and knowledge you receive at NCS and create a plan that will support you in ROCKING your goals this summer. We are all in this together and are here to support each other. Let’s have an awesome and healthy summer.