We have two new coaches at North Corner Studios that I would like to introduce, Matt Fish and Janelle Diaz! I asked Matt and Janelle questions that our NCS community submitted. Let’s get to know Matt and Janelle …
1. Where are you from? Kalamazoo, Michigan
2. What is your fitness background? What inspired you to get started? College athletics is what got me started in fitness. I began lifting at the age of 9 on and off but didn’t truly start doing it on a regular basis until high school, when I reached college I realized you can’t just be jacked and good at sports by sitting on the couch doing 12 oz. curls.
3. How did you find NCS? Word of mouth
4. What do you do for fun? Lift heavy shit, fishing, and hunting
5. Favorite drink (alcohol or non)? Chocolate milk (non-alcoholic), zero-visibility or Mac and Jack African amber
6. Favorite movie? Book? My favorite movie is Top Gun. Who even reads anymore, that’s what audible books are for.
7. Favorite healthy meal? 6 eggs scrambled, 4 slices of bacon sometimes 8 #America, half a yam, ¾ of a bell pepper, roughly a cup of diced onions, and about ½ gallon of chocolate milk (smith brothers recommend or Winco brand) – Cheat meal- large pizza or a lot of Mexican food.
8. Funniest fitness mishap you’ve ever seen? (non-injury) My buddy sharted trying to squat, put the weight down and waddled out of the gym.
9. N’Sync or Backstreet Boys? (Sorry I had to these are the burning questions of our members) Toby Keith- Courtesy of The Red, White, and Blue!
10. Favorite quote? “To get what you never had, you must do what you have never done!”
11. What are you most excited to bring to NCS? My very bubbly and spunky coaching style, plus my cheerleading ability.
1. Where are you from? Born & raised in Everett not that I’m proud of that, I just didn’t have a choice.
2. What is your fitness background? What inspired you to get started? I’ve run several women/mom focused boot camps for about 7 years. I have a B.S. in Health Sciences with a focus on healthy lifestyle coaching. I worked at a boutique style studio for about a 1.5 years. However, my passion really came from my childhood early adulthood. I was always active, involved with several sports as a kid. I did a small tour with a select team playing basketball in Europe after high school. Shortly after I had a pretty nasty basketball related knee injury that completely shook my life. I wasn’t really able to play anymore and stopped working out for several years. I’m not trying to get into too many details (although I don’t mind telling my story), it’s long. I was in Seattle one morning just before the marathon started. I missed being fit and healthy and I made a choice to go back and challenge myself every day. I learned a lot! But mostly I learned that we, as humans, are stronger than we really think we are. I decided to make it a mission to help show people that they too can get back up and push themselves to the next level. Ok, that was long sorry …
3. How did you find NCS? Coach John introduced me-I knew I loved it right away. I love the energy and the community. I couldn’t wait to start, grow as a coach, and hopefully be able to bring something valuable to the NCS fam.
4. What do you do for fun? I hang with my kids for or work out for fun. Anything other than folding laundry and doing dishes is fun (I’m seriously the worst housewife).
5. Favorite drink (alcohol or non)? Anything with caffeine, tequila, wine, IPAs, and water duh!
6. Favorite movie? Book? I haven’t made it through a movie or a book in I don’t know how long.
7. Favorite healthy meal? Cheat meal? My favorite healthy meal is a Mexican soup I make. I even eat it in the hot summer it’s that yummy. Cheat meal would be loads and loads of chips, beans, salsa. Imagine being so full of chips and salsa, then add two more baskets of chips to that.
8. Funniest fitness mishap you’ve ever seen? (non-injury) I haven’t had a lot of mishaps, I have had lots of funny complaining.
9. N’Sync or Backstreet Boys? (Sorry I had to these are the burning questions of our members) *NSYNC JT all the way
10. Favorite quote? “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, “Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?” Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
11. What are you most excited to bring to NCS? I’m excited to bring the passion I have to push people to the next level.
Be sure to schedule a class with our new coaches and introduce yourselves. Let’s give them a warm NCS welcome! Janelle is coaching Bootcamps Tuesday AM @ 4:45 and 6:00, as well Thursday @ 4:45. Matt is coaching Monday’s @ 10:15 and 12:00, Wednesday’s 4:15, 6:30 and 7:15, and Friday’s 4:15 and 5:30.